The Student News Site of Wauconda High School

Purple Press

Purple Press

Breaking News
  • Oct 5 / Girls Freshman VolleyballWauconda High School - 3-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-3(sets)
  • Oct 5 / Girls JV VolleyballWauconda High School - 2-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-2(sets)
  • Oct 5 / Girls Varsity VolleyballWauconda High School - 2-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-2(sets)
  • Sep 14 / Varsity Boys SoccerWauconda High School - 1, Round Lake - 2
  • Sep 14 / Cross CountryWauconda High School - The Cross Country program continued its season with success at a challenging Veteran's Acres course. The Boys F/S team took home a top 5 finish with a tight pack and smart racing, while the girls were led by a 9th overall Varsity finish by senior Alyssa Vodicka. The team hopes to continue its success out at their home invitational this Saturday!, -
  • Dec 1 / BasketballWauconda High School - 80, Them - 60
  • Oct 2 / FootballWauconda High School - 28, Away - 14
  • Sep 1 / HockeyWauconda High School - 2, Away - 3

Purple Press

Purple Press

Mr. Nicholas: Principal with Pride

Students at WHS are aware that our previous principal has stepped down and, in his place, Mr. Dan Nicholas has filled the position. What do we know about the man in charge of our school and what does he think about his new position?

As a child, Mr. Nicholas moved around a lot. From the East Coast in Maryland to the West Coast in California, he was constantly jumping school districts until he and his family settled in Mason, Michigan. There, he attended Mason High School and claims that this is generally where he grew up and found his place in the world. 

His connection to the school starts with positive references from people with a pre-existing relationship to the district. According to Nicholas, “WHS reminds me in many ways of my own High School in Michigan–it was a similar size and the only high school in a small, close-knit town that was mostly suburban but also kind of near some rural areas.” Also sparking his interest was the dedication he viewed in the staff and students to improve both themselves and the school as a whole.

Being a new principal in a district comes with its difficulties like building trust within the student body and influencing students to be the best that they can be. These challenges are felt but it only further inspires him to work harder and it also keeps his work exciting. He says that the best parts of his day are when he gets to spend time inside classrooms with students as they interact with each other and explore new ideas. He says that he really enjoys “attending events,” be it the musical or the various sporting events. To him, seeing “all the practice and hard work” by the Bulldogs “pay off” is one of the most rewarding feelings.

It is clear Mr. Nicholas is a man dedicated to his job. He is only interested in improving our school, and we as students need to support him by helping to fulfill a principal’s task of making the students the best that they can be. Here’s to many more years and future graduations, Mr. Nicholas.