The Student News Site of Wauconda High School

Purple Press

Purple Press

Breaking News
  • Oct 5 / Girls Freshman VolleyballWauconda High School - 3-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-3(sets)
  • Oct 5 / Girls JV VolleyballWauconda High School - 2-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-2(sets)
  • Oct 5 / Girls Varsity VolleyballWauconda High School - 2-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-2(sets)
  • Sep 14 / Varsity Boys SoccerWauconda High School - 1, Round Lake - 2
  • Sep 14 / Cross CountryWauconda High School - The Cross Country program continued its season with success at a challenging Veteran's Acres course. The Boys F/S team took home a top 5 finish with a tight pack and smart racing, while the girls were led by a 9th overall Varsity finish by senior Alyssa Vodicka. The team hopes to continue its success out at their home invitational this Saturday!, -
  • Dec 1 / BasketballWauconda High School - 80, Them - 60
  • Oct 2 / FootballWauconda High School - 28, Away - 14
  • Sep 1 / HockeyWauconda High School - 2, Away - 3

Purple Press

Purple Press

Calvin Johnson Retires at 31

“Megatron” surprisingly retired from the NFL at a young age.

Calvin Johnson, one of the greatest wide receivers of all time in the NFL, retired for the Detroit Lions at the young age of 31. Calvin Johnson was born on September 29th, 1985 in Newnan, Georgia. In his college career, Johnson attended the University of Georgia Institute of Technology where he played for head coach Chain Gailey’s Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets from 2004-2006. He was selected 2nd in the 1st round of the 2007 NFL draft to the Detroit Lions. He started off his career strong winning rookie of the year. With a build of 6’5 236 pounds, he dominated the league. He was nominated for the Pro Bowl for 6 consecutive years from 2011-2016. Unfortunately, with how dominant he was in the league, he was studied a lot and picked on by teams by being constantly double teamed, getting hit a lot, and targeted. This caused the Detroit Lions to lose many games and also caused Johnson to get banged up a lot. Johnson established an ankle injury, which in football is a big deal because of the cuts you have to make and the sharp turns. With the Detroit Lions constantly losing heartbreaking games and Johnson battling with injuries, the superstar surprisingly retired early at the young age of 31. Johnson stated “They’re blowing up the team. My body is aching. I don’t have my range of motion like I use to. I can’t get out, I can’t dig like I used to. I just don’t feel it. I just don’t have the love for it because I was just always hurting. I just don’t have it.”