The Student News Site of Wauconda High School

Purple Press

Purple Press

Breaking News
  • Oct 5 / Girls Freshman VolleyballWauconda High School - 3-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-3(sets)
  • Oct 5 / Girls JV VolleyballWauconda High School - 2-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-2(sets)
  • Oct 5 / Girls Varsity VolleyballWauconda High School - 2-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-2(sets)
  • Sep 14 / Varsity Boys SoccerWauconda High School - 1, Round Lake - 2
  • Sep 14 / Cross CountryWauconda High School - The Cross Country program continued its season with success at a challenging Veteran's Acres course. The Boys F/S team took home a top 5 finish with a tight pack and smart racing, while the girls were led by a 9th overall Varsity finish by senior Alyssa Vodicka. The team hopes to continue its success out at their home invitational this Saturday!, -
  • Dec 1 / BasketballWauconda High School - 80, Them - 60
  • Oct 2 / FootballWauconda High School - 28, Away - 14
  • Sep 1 / HockeyWauconda High School - 2, Away - 3

Purple Press

Purple Press

The NFL draft

This years 2024 draft

The 2024 NFL draft will be the 89th anniversary of National Football League franchises selecting newly eligible college football players onto their roster. It serves as a crucial mechanism for teams to acquire new talent and build their rosters for the upcoming season. This event consists of seven rounds with 32 selections per round. With there being 32 NFL teams, each team gets 1 selection per round. However, due to many trades or pick swaps, the order or amount of selections per round for teams can and will vary. Because of this, some teams can have multiple picks in a certain round or no picks at all. The order of selection is determined by the previous season’s standings. Many teams make these decisions and receive backlash for it. A team like the Chicago Bears is one where they traded their star quarterback in Justin Fields, likely to replace him because of their #1 overall pick they hold in the draft this year. Many draft prospects selected with the first few picks in previous drafts have also not all lived up to their draft rating projection. Players like this are considered “busts” and leave teams questioning their decision in drafting them. That is why the draft is so crucial to the leagues’ franchises. One decision can change a whole program. Teams must also take into consideration what positions are needed when drafting. For example, if you have a franchise quarterback who is playing at his highest level, you would not want to select a quarterback in the draft. Leading up to the draft, teams conduct extensive scouting, player evaluations, and interviews to access the potential of prospects. The draft itself typically takes over three days, with the first round grabbing the most attention and media coverage. In recent years, the draft has become a highly anticipated event not just for football fans but also for sports enthusiasts in general. It serves as a platform for hope and excitement as teams look to build up their rosters with top talent and potential game-changing athletes. For the athletes, getting selected into the draft represents their years of hard work, dedication and talent. This is a life-changing moment for them and truly impacts not only their lives, but the lives and fanbases of the teams who are selecting them. The NFL draft holds a big impact for students and staff members at Wauconda High School. For myself and many others, the Chicago Bears having the #1 selection in this year’s draft builds up hope for them. After previous bad seasons, their fans are becoming hopeless and discouraged. However, after trading their starting quarterback, Justin Fields, the Chicago Bears could potentially select a draft prospect from the quarterback position. Guys like Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, and Drake Maye are all projected to be selected very high in this year’s draft. Some students predict that the Bears will select Caleb Williams in this year’s draft. “I think the Bears will probably benefit the most when they draft Caleb Williams and win the Superbowl.” -Brock Pfieffer. Many sports analysts are expecting Caleb Williams to be selected first overall and expect him to turn the Chicago Bears’ franchise around. Overall, the NFL draft is a pivotal moment in the league’s calendar, shaping the future of teams and players alike while capturing the attention of fans worldwide.