The Student News Site of Wauconda High School

Purple Press

Purple Press

Breaking News
  • Oct 5 / Girls Freshman VolleyballWauconda High School - 3-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-3(sets)
  • Oct 5 / Girls JV VolleyballWauconda High School - 2-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-2(sets)
  • Oct 5 / Girls Varsity VolleyballWauconda High School - 2-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-2(sets)
  • Sep 14 / Varsity Boys SoccerWauconda High School - 1, Round Lake - 2
  • Sep 14 / Cross CountryWauconda High School - The Cross Country program continued its season with success at a challenging Veteran's Acres course. The Boys F/S team took home a top 5 finish with a tight pack and smart racing, while the girls were led by a 9th overall Varsity finish by senior Alyssa Vodicka. The team hopes to continue its success out at their home invitational this Saturday!, -
  • Dec 1 / BasketballWauconda High School - 80, Them - 60
  • Oct 2 / FootballWauconda High School - 28, Away - 14
  • Sep 1 / HockeyWauconda High School - 2, Away - 3

Purple Press

Purple Press

How Accepting Peer Pressure Can Impact a Student’s Career And Future.

A deep dive into negative peer pressure and why it can be difficult to say “No.”
How Accepting Peer Pressure Can Impact a Students Career And Future.

Peer pressure can be a gift, boosting one’s confidence in what they are doing. But the most known peer pressure, negative pressure, could be the reason for teenagers’ bustling future coming to a crashing end.

Let’s take a deeper dive into the science of negative peer pressure and the impact it has on society, especially high school students. According to newsinhealth.nih.gov “Teens are just learning to navigate the social world” and “taking part in risky behaviors, like drinking alcohol or smoking, can lead to health or legal consequences.” It is easy to say yes to tough situations in order to fit in, but sometimes it gets to the point where a teenager doesn’t have control over their choices, and those choices are chosen by others who want to gain power. Ms. Baer, an Honors English 1 teacher states, “I think it’s about belonging and fitting in: People will pressure others so that they can feel confident in their own choices; so if another person will do the thing someone is pressuring them to do, the person pressuring them will gain validation, knowing that they aren’t the only one doing the thing.” Saying no to peer pressure can be difficult when a teen doesn’t want to upset someone they thought was their friend. Ms. Baer has also stated that “Encountering peer pressure is probably unavoidable. I would tell a student that when they encounter it, to focus on their own morals/values, to think about making choices that will help them grow into the person they want to be, and to not let any insecurities about “being cool” direct their path.”

A freshman at Wauconda high school Harini Katakam goes by her advice “Don’t be afraid to say no. Your response matters more than other people’s opinions.” Peer pressure can especially affect teenagers in this day and age due to trying to fit in and act cool even when they are not happy about it. So, remember to stick with your gut and go with “no!”