The Student News Site of Wauconda High School

Purple Press

Purple Press

Breaking News
  • Oct 5 / Girls Freshman VolleyballWauconda High School - 3-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-3(sets)
  • Oct 5 / Girls JV VolleyballWauconda High School - 2-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-2(sets)
  • Oct 5 / Girls Varsity VolleyballWauconda High School - 2-0(sets), North Chicago - 0-2(sets)
  • Sep 14 / Varsity Boys SoccerWauconda High School - 1, Round Lake - 2
  • Sep 14 / Cross CountryWauconda High School - The Cross Country program continued its season with success at a challenging Veteran's Acres course. The Boys F/S team took home a top 5 finish with a tight pack and smart racing, while the girls were led by a 9th overall Varsity finish by senior Alyssa Vodicka. The team hopes to continue its success out at their home invitational this Saturday!, -
  • Dec 1 / BasketballWauconda High School - 80, Them - 60
  • Oct 2 / FootballWauconda High School - 28, Away - 14
  • Sep 1 / HockeyWauconda High School - 2, Away - 3

Purple Press

Purple Press

What is Groundhog Day?

Will we have an early spring?
What is Groundhog Day?

What is Groundhog Day?

Groundhog day is a tradition that is celebrated in the United States and in Canada on the 2nd day of February. It is said that if a groundhog sees its shadow then the groundhog will go back to its home and winter will last longer. But if it does not see its shadow then that means that spring will start very soon! 

What do people celebrate in Groundhog Day?

People celebrate Groundhog Day to welcome spring sooner or later. They celebrate the light of spring that is yet to come and a happiness of a new season! 

How did Groundhog Day become a thing?

According to bbc.com it says “It goes back to a pre-Christian tradition of looking forward to spring. People would try to predict the arrival of spring by observing when ground-dwelling animals such as badgers emerge from hibernation.” February 1 marks a turning point in the calendar like May Day on May 1st and All Saints Day on November 1.

At some point, the February holiday was called “Candlemas,” and people brought candles to churches to be blessed, signifying light and warmth for cold months. In 1678, naturalist John Ray wrote this poem: 

“If Candlemas day be fair and bright

Winter will have another flight.

If on Candlemas day it be showre and rain

Winter is gone and will not come again.” 

Germans looked to a badger and hedgehogs as the “Candlemas weather prophets” according to Yoder on cnn.com. The first official Groundhog Day  in Punxsutawney, PA was in 1887 brought about from Dutch immigrants. 

What is the prediction for 2024? 

This year Punxsutawney Phil, the official groundhog in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, did not see his shadow, foretelling an early spring. Hopefully, we will more have sunny days ahead!